Taylor Ulezalka, an audit principal, has been with Berdon LLP for more than 12 years. She has extensive experience with respect to accounting, auditing, and tax principles relating to the real estate industry, and has earned the title of a true “trusted advisor” to her clients. She has worked with the some of the country’s most prominent privately-held real estate companies, including developers, owners, and operators of residential and commercial properties. Taylor also has a background in tax compliance and tax planning to closely held real estate businesses and high net worth individuals.
Her broad array of accounting, auditing, and tax expertise encompasses areas that include:
- Preparing and analyzing audited financial statements on a GAAP and income tax basis and preparing related income forecasting models and detailed budgets
- Drafting special purpose financial statements, including cost certifications, certiorari filings, and statements of operating expenses for escalation billing to tenants
- Recommending techniques to improve operations and strengthen internal controls by isolating weaknesses and areas of exposure to potential fraud or misappropriation of assets
- Reviewing monthly and quarterly reports prepared by management to assist owners in decision-making with respect to leasing arrangements, new construction, and capital improvement projects
- Consulting on various tax regulations, including Section 1031 like-kind exchanges, Section 754 step-ups, cross-purchase arrangements, REIT testing, and other complex tax-driven transactions
- Advising privately-held real estate companies, their investors, and other clients in connection with new tax provisions such as rules relating to bonus depreciation, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, and the Tangible Property Regulation
- Reviewing the corporate and partnership business income tax returns of real estate clients to identify potential tax savings, and prepare tax projections for high net worth individual investors
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Taylor Ulezalka graduated from the University of Maryland with a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting. She has been licensed as a Certified Public Accountant in New York since 2008.