Smit Shah, a partner in Berdon LLP’s audit department, has been with the firm for nearly 15 years. Mr. Shah specializes in guiding clients throughout the hospitality arena – providing an array of audit, accounting, and tax services to prominent hotels and restaurants. His broad expertise extends to:
- Providing GAAP and income tax basis audited, reviewed, and compiled financial statements for hotels, restaurants, and commercial real estate owners
- Preparing special purpose financial statements pursuant to the management agreements and purchase and sale agreements
- Reviewing clients’ policies and procedures to advise on ways to improve internal controls
- Advising clients on New York City hotel occupancy tax and New York State sales tax provisions
- Preparing and reviewing tax returns for hotels, restaurants, and commercial real estate owners
Mr. Shah has assisted in writing articles related to the hospitality industry and has conducted hospitality related educational seminars for Berdon staff.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
Hospitality Finance and Technology Professionals
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mr. Shah earned a Bachelor of Commerce degree in Accounting from Gujarat University in India. He received a Chartered Accountant license from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and ranked 33rd in the country. Mr. Shah received his license as a certified public accountant in 2006.