Ross A. Hurwitz is a Principal in the Valuation Services Group within Berdon’s Litigation, Valuation and Dispute Resolution Practice. He performs valuations of closely-held companies primarily for estate and gift tax reporting, litigation matters and transactions. His experience includes valuations of entity ownership across the capital structure, including minority equity interests, preferred interests, promissory notes and compensatory employee stock options. Ross also has particular experience in the litigation arena calculating lost profits and other economic damages, and has assisted with valuations issues relating to audit assignments involving financial reporting.
Ross’s valuation and damages experience includes:
- Valuations of companies that operated in a wide variety of industries including real estate, asset management, heating oil and natural gas distribution, regional airlines, new and used automotive dealers, restaurants and crypto assets, among others.
- Valuations of fractional interests in real estate and artwork.
- Calculations of fair value and fair market value of equity interests for litigation matters involving breach of fiduciary duty, shareholder dissent and shareholder buyouts.
- Calculations of lost profits and disgorgement damages for litigation matters alleging professional malpractice, breach of contract, unjust enrichment, aiding and abetting, bad faith damage to reputation and breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Valuations of private equity carried interests/promote interests for the general partner of private equity funds and hedge funds.
- Analyzing real estate ‘waterfall’ distribution provisions for arbitration cases, pre-litigation shareholder disputes and partner distribution allocations.
- Transfer pricing studies for a range of interest rates consistent with an arm’s-length transaction in connection with loans from affiliated foreign companies.
- Estimating the rate of return to be assigned to a preferred membership interest in a closely-held company in connection with a recapitalization.
- Estimating a reasonable guaranty fee for a promissory note issued in connection with a sale of a minority interest in a closely-held company.
- Formulating solvency analyses for bankruptcy cases.
Prior to joining Berdon, Ross worked for five years in the Private Client Group of Janney Montgomery Scott LLC as a Registered Private Client Associate where he was Series 7 and Series 66 licensed. During this time, he helped to service and manage over $100 million of assets with a diverse set of clients and recommended portfolio investments based on fundamental analysis and client specific suitability factors.
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
CFA Society of New York
- NYC Executive Board Member
“Tag-Along And Drag-Along Rights: A Valuation Analyst’s View”, Law360. co-author, May 12, 2015.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Ross graduated Magna Cum Laude from Tulane University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in management and marketing in 2005. He later earned a Master of Business Administration degree with concentrations in corporate finance, accounting and financial instruments and markets from New York University’s Stern School of Business in 2011. In 2015, he earned the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation from the CFA Institute.