Naya Pearlman, a Berdon LLP Senior Principal, has more than 15 years of professional experience as a tax advisor. She advises on all aspects of federal income taxation, including entity formations and transactional matters.
Her areas of expertise include:
- Advising on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, and partnership transactions
- Evaluating the tax implications of asset sales and sales of equity
- Reviewing tax provisions in operating agreements, asset purchase agreements, membership interest purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements, and other transactional documents
- Planning for like-kind exchanges and qualified opportunity zone investments
- Structuring cross-border arrangements and international investments
- Representing foreign nationals in the U.S. and advising U.S. citizens abroad
- Providing estate and income tax planning and devising wealth preservation strategies
- Advising fiduciaries in trust and estate administrations
- Representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities
Naya currently serves as the chair of the Business Tax Tech Committee, which reviews the impact of business tax law changes, rulings and administrative guidance. Prior to joining Berdon LLP, Naya was a tax partner of a U.S. law firm and served as tax counsel on mergers and acquisitions. Naya also worked closely with multi-generational family-owned businesses on succession planning and provided tax support in litigation matters.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
New York State Bar Association
New Jersey State Bar Association
In 2018, Naya was awarded by the New Jersey Law Journal as a New Leader of the Bar, formerly known as the 40 under 40 award, which recognizes attorneys who have demonstrated professional excellence and notable achievements. Naya was also awarded multiple times as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in Tax Law. Throughout her career, Naya has presented before professional associations, attorneys, accountants, and clients on tax technical topics that include choice of entity and the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. Naya has also provided expert tax commentary and analysis for various publications, including Tax Notes, JD Supra, and Bisnow. She currently serves as an editor of the Firm’s Client Alerts.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Naya graduated from NYU Law School with a Master of Laws in Taxation, and earned her Juris doctor from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. She also earned a Masters in Accounting from the Zicklin School of Business, Baruch College, and a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and Economics, magna cum laude, from Bryn Mawr College. She is admitted to practice law in New Jersey, New York, and the U.S. Tax Court.