Mitchell G. Marcus, an Audit Partner and member of the Real Estate Practice Group, has been with Berdon LLP for more than 17 years. He has extensive accounting and auditing experience in various real estate and related industries. In addition to providing GAAP and income tax basis auditing and financial reporting services, he advises on operations and internal controls of businesses. Mitchell also advises high net worth clients on both their business and personal wealth needs.
Mitchell’s specific experience includes:
- Executing all phases of audit and attest engagements including planning, program, execution, and client relations
- Preparing GAAP and income-tax basis financial statements and required disclosures for audits, reviews, and compilations
- Recommending techniques to improve operations and strengthen internal controls by isolating weaknesses and areas of exposure to potential fraud or misappropriation of assets
- Advising privately held real estate companies, their investors, and other clients in connection with new tax provisions such as rules relating to bonus depreciation, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, and the Tangible Property Regulation
- Performing audits of Defined Contribution and Defined Benefit Plans to help ensure compliance with Internal Revenue Code, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, and Department of Labor requirements
- Reviewing and evaluating leasing arrangements to realize cost savings
- Analyzing partnership agreements, commercial and capital leases, financing agreements, insurance, and loan covenants
- Preparing domestic multistate corporation and partnership tax returns
- Supervising, training, and evaluating staff
Mitchell is also a member of the Berdon Education and Learning Committee.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Real Estate Committee
Westchester Business Council
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mitchell holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting from SUNY-Binghamton. He was licensed as a certified public accountant in New York in 2006.