Merrick Shukan, a Tax Principal in the Personal Wealth Services Group, has more than 20 years of experience, including 10+ years in public accounting, as well as 10+ years in private industry. He works closely with high net worth individuals and their families, advising on tax planning matters and oversees the tax preparation of returns. Prior to joining Berdon, Merrick worked at a prominent national multifamily office providing tax services to a diverse group of ultra-high-net-worth clients.
Merrick’s expertise encompasses areas that include:
- Providing compliance, planning, and consulting services to high net worth individuals, S corporations, partnerships, and C corporations
- Implementing tax effective gifting programs via family limited partnerships, generation skipping trusts, and other wealth building/preservation strategies
- Identifying tax efficient techniques to fund education expenses for children and grandchildren
- Collaborating with estate planning attorneys, financial advisors, and colleagues – with the emphasis on helping the client achieve current and long-term wealth goals
- Consulting on state residency planning matters
- Representing clients at income tax audits and state voluntary disclosure agreement negotiations
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New Jersey State Society of Certified Public Accountants
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Merrick Shukan graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a Bachelor of Science dual major degree in Accounting and Business Administration. He received a Master of Science degree in Taxation from Seton Hall University and is licensed as a certified public accountant in New Jersey.