Maury D. Golbert is a partner in Berdon LLP’s tax department, Co-Chair of the Real Estate Group, and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He works with family/closely held businesses of all types – advising on techniques to preserve and enhance business and personal net worth – and offers particular expertise for commercial and residential real estate clients. He has developed close relationships with leading real estate owners, operators, developers and investors and devises creative ideas and effective solutions to key issues in real estate transactions. Mr. Golbert has extensive experience in structuring various types of like-kind exchanges and other innovative transaction techniques.
For real estate businesses, his skills and expertise extend to the following areas:
- Planning refinancings
- Structuring and framing joint venture arrangements, including property development
- Developing creative workout strategies, including debt restructuring
Advising on foreclosures and deed-in-lieu of foreclosure
- Identifying and taking advantage of rehabilitation tax credits
- Tailoring different types of like-kind exchanges
- Formulating efficient lease arrangements
For family/closely held businesses of every type, Mr. Golbert advises on:
- Structuring and negotiating acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, joint ventures, and many other transactions
- Planning and consulting on corporate and personal financial matters to preserve and increase net worth
- Preparing a succession plan, including developing stockholder agreements, buy-sell agreements, and voting trusts
- Arranging shareholder/buyout and operating agreements
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
At various forums, Mr. Golbert has spoken before real estate attorneys on efficient tax structuring and effective income distribution and allocation. He served as moderator of a forum on the future of Downtown Manhattan real estate. In addition, he has provided commentary on distressed assets, debt cancellation, estate planning, like-kind exchanges, and retirement planning in an array of publications, among them The Commercial Observer, Long Island Business News, Commercial Real Estate Direct.com, Leasing REality (Podcast), New York Real Estate Journal, BisNow, Real Estate Finance & Investment, Bankrate.com, Real Estate New York, The Practical Accountant, and WebCPA. Mr. Golbert also appears on the firm’s video series 2MinutesOn.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mr. Golbert graduated from SUNY College at Oneonta with a Bachelor of Science degree in business economics. He received a Juris Doctor degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Bridgeport School of Law, where he was an associate editor of the law review, and a Master of Laws degree in taxation from New York University Law School. He is licensed as a CPA in New York.