Mark G. Bosswick is the Managing Partner of Berdon LLP and has spent his entire 30+ year career at the firm. He integrates the knowledge he has gained as both a CPA and J.D. to provide comprehensive and practical advice to high-net-worth individuals, their families, and their business interests.
Mark‘s practice focuses on tax and wealth planning with particular emphasis on structuring for closely held businesses and investment vehicles. His work for clients involves a range of matters, from creating tax-efficient wealth transfer structures to addressing income tax issues arising from investments and operating businesses; he also serves as a fiduciary, mediator, investment consultant, and board member to a number of prominent families.
He is a frequent speaker at professional and private family organization events on income tax issues, estate planning and charitable giving and has written on tax matters for various publications. Mark has also served as an expert during litigation proceedings, including real estate, restructurings, bankruptcies, and matrimonial disputes. He was also appointed by a United States Magistrate and the Supreme Court of the State of New York in connection with dissolution and winding-up proceedings.
He works closely with family clients in the following areas:
- Consulting with multigenerational family-owned business clients on succession planning
- Representing and administering trusts and estates of real estate and business owners
- Estate planning using sophisticated wealth-transfer techniques
- Serving on investment committees of family groups and business entities
- Developing and monitoring overall wealth-preservation investment strategies conforming with the standards of the Prudent Investor Act and Uniform Principal and Income Act
- Mediating, negotiating, and structuring partnership, shareholder, and buyout agreements
His experience in the real estate arena includes:
- Advising on restructuring debt
- Planning and structuring joint venture arrangements, including property development
- Advising and negotiating sales and acquisitions
- Formulating lease arrangements
- Acquiring mortgages and related REOs
- Developing creative approaches for like-kind exchanges
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Bar Association
- Tax Section
- Trust and Estate Law Section
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
Mark has been quoted in publications, among them Crain’s New York Business, Financial Advisor, Forbes Advisor, GlobeSt.com, Long Island Business News, and Worth on techniques to acquire, hold, and transfer real estate; strategies to sell a business; and ways to reduce estate taxes. He was recognized by Crain’s as a Notable Leader in Accounting and Consulting and was named in the Long Island Business News Power 25 in Accounting List.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mark holds a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting, cum laude. He received a Juris Doctor degree from Brooklyn Law School and a Master of Laws degree in taxation from New York University School of Law. In 1984, he obtained his license as a Certified Public Accountant in New York. Mark was admitted to practice law before the Courts of New York in 1987 and the United States Tax Court in 1988.