Karen Bennett, Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) at Berdon LLP, has more than 20 years of experience in the human resources profession. Karen focuses on aligning human resources operations with key business objectives and ensuring organizational effectiveness, financial strength, and regulatory compliance as well as overall efficiency. She is responsible for delivering professional, high quality results in the areas of recruitment, benefits, compensation, and performance management/appraisal and retention strategies. Her responsibilities include:
- Recruiting for all areas in the firm.
- Creating and aligning all firm recruiting procedures and policies to maximize the attraction
of qualified candidates.
- Ensuring all interviewing practices are consistent and well executed throughout the firm.
- Recognizing and expanding on seasonal/market conditions trends and related staffing needs.
- Conducting formal interviews with potential candidates.
- Serving as the lead recruiting liaison with outside recruiting sourcing firms.
- Sourcing candidates from the web, conducting all interviews, and determining salary offers.
Scheduling and Staffing
- Responsible for the deployment and career development of all staff.
- Interacting with partners to understand the scope of business and the work requirements.
- Monitoring staff workload and rebalancing as necessary to help fulfill developmental needs.
- Scheduling client assignments from the supervisor through principal level.
- Monitoring weekly statistics — looking for ways to enhance staff utilization
- Accountable for the performance review process, preparing analysis and summary and making compensation and promotion recommendations.
- Performing compensation and benchmarking data analyses.
- Preparing headcount and needs analysis reports as well as billable hour analysis and other management reports.
- Managing difficult employee relations issues, mediating conflicts, resolving grievances, and providing counseling in a number of areas.
Labor and Immigration Issues
- Managing the process necessary to apply and obtaining proper work authorization and permanent residence for staff.
- Working with labor attorneys to handle and minimize risks and liabilities.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
Administrative Accountants Group
5 O’clock Club
Society for Human Resources Management
Karen has been quoted on issues in human resources in AccountingWEB, CPA Practice Advisor, and Long Island Business News. She has served as an adjunct professor at St. Francis College – presenting a seminar on human resources management and psychology.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Karen holds a Master of Arts in Organizational Psychology with a focus on Human Resources Management from Columbia University and earned her Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from St. Francis College.