A Partner in Berdon LLP’s Audit Department and Co-Leader of the Firm’s Manufacturing, Distribution and Retail Practice, Ian Alberts has more than 17 years of experience in public accounting. He provides an array of audit, accounting, and tax services to closely held businesses and high net worth individuals in the distribution sector, including produce and plumbing supply businesses. Ian also works in the real estate and hospitality arenas.
Ian’s expertise encompasses areas that include:
- Planning and carrying out audits of financial statements in accordance with GAAP or income
tax basis of accounting
- Coordinating, supervising, and reviewing audit and attest work assignments
- Providing tax planning and projection services to family businesses and private individuals
- Reviewing corporate and partnership tax returns to identify savings opportunities and ways to reduce exposure by ensuring compliance with the Internal Revenue Code
- Determining the tax implications of transactions involving like-kind exchanges
- Developing special purpose financial statements relating to certiorari filings
- Reviewing operations and internal controls to identify areas of risk and develop ways to strengthen controls and increase efficiency
Ian is active in the Firm’s internal education program – having provided seminars on a variety of topics, including preparing workpapers, inventory procedures, preparing and understanding cash flow statements, as well as an annual audit update. He is also active in on-campus recruiting for the firm.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
ADDAPT – Long Island Aerospace & Defense Industry
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
Ian was selected by Long Island Business News for Who’s Who: Accounting and is an LIBN 40 Under 40 honoree.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Ian graduated from Binghamton University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting. He is licensed as a Certified Public Accountant in New York State.