Daniel A. Shapiro, a tax partner, member of the Executive Committee, and Chair of the Tax Department, has been with Berdon LLP for more than 30 years. He advises high net worth individuals and closely held businesses of all types and sizes — most notably prominent organizations in the real estate sector — with techniques to preserve, grow, and transfer their wealth. Mr. Shapiro has particular expertise in income taxation and wide experience in estate planning, financial accounting, and auditing.
He advises clients in areas that include:
- Acquisitions, sales, and refinancing of real estate and other business assets and entities
- Taxation of partnerships, limited liability companies, and other business organizations
- The tax, economic, and business implications of workouts and restructuring
- Navigating the tax consequences of cancellation of debt income
- Succession plans for business transition
- Tax-effective programs to transfer wealth using family limited partnerships, trusts, and other strategies
- Tax aspects of litigation settlement funds and settlement agreements
- Preservation of corporate and personal net-worth
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Bar Association
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
Mr. Shapiro also speaks and writes on tax issues in a variety of forums. He conducts continuing legal education courses for attorneys and serves on the editorial board of Berdon tax publications. Mr. Shapiro has been called upon to provide commentary in publications that include Accounting Today, Commercial Observer, Crain’s New York Business, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Real Deal, and Real Estate Weekly.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mr. Shapiro graduated from Adelphi University with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in accounting. He received a Juris Doctor degree from St. John’s University School of Law, graduating magna cum laude, and a Master of Laws in taxation from New York University School of Law. He was licensed as a certified public accountant in New York in 1986.