Anthony C. Fernandes, a Principal in Berdon LLP’s Audit Department with more than 20 years of public accounting experience, advises clients in the Real Estate Industry – both commercial and residential — and not-for-profit groups including religious organizations. He specializes in the Affordable Housing Segment covering HUD audits and REAC submissions for several low income housing projects regulated by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
His experience extends to:
- Assurance and attest services, compliance, operations and internal audit, synchronizing all phases of engagements, including planning, coordinating, supervising, and reviewing
- Preparing complex financial statements (GAAP, income tax basis, or contractual basis) and required disclosures for audits, reviews, compilation, agreed upon procedures, and special projects
- Conducting Single Audits under OMB’s Uniform Guidance for not-for-profit organizations receiving federal awards
- Performing Real Estate Tax Certiorari filings pursuant to New York City Department of Finance
- Consulting on operations, regulatory compliance, and the appropriate accounting treatment of transactions unique to the affordable housing industry
- Reviewing operations and internal controls to isolate weaknesses, identify areas of risk exposure, and develop ways to strengthen controls to improve efficacy
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Society of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
The Institute of Internal Auditors
Anthony supports the firm’s Quality Control department with internal inspections and peer reviews, and in developing automated work paper templates to enhance audit efficiencies.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Anthony holds a Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting, Auditing, and Economics from Shri Chinai College of Commerce and Economics, University of Mumbai. He earned his Certified Internal Auditor designation from The Institute of Internal Auditors and his Associate Chartered Accountant designation from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. Anthony is licensed as a Certified Public Accountant in Colorado.