A tax partner and Co-Chair of the Real Estate Group at Berdon LLP, Meyer Mintz has been with the firm for nearly 25 years. He has particular expertise in the tax aspects of real estate, including partnership agreements, limited liability companies, and other business organizations. Analyzing potential transactions from both a tax and an overall business perspective, he provides clients with a more comprehensive picture on which to base their decisions. Meyer has also worked with attorneys in litigation matters. He has testified as an expert witness on behalf of a defendant at a FINRA arbitration hearing. Meyer's testimony regarding a complex tax matter was successful in sustaining the defendant’s tax position.
Working closely with clients, Meyer advises on:
- Planning and structuring joint venture arrangements, including property development
- Equity reorganizations of real estate partnerships
- Analyzing the tax consequences of sales and purchases of real estate
- Maximizing the efficiency of day-to-day business operations
- Structuring for estate plans
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Meyer holds a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from Touro College, a Juris Doctor degree from Brooklyn Law School, and a Master of Laws in taxation at New York University School of Law. He is licensed as a certified public accountant in New York State.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Bar Association
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
Vibrant Emotional Health
- Board of Directors
- Chair of the Audit Committee
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
His articles “Tax Consequences of Debt Relief — Handle With Care” and “Know Your (REIT) Partner” were published in Real Estate Weekly and he was interviewed on the benefits of LLCs and on changng property values in The Commercial Observer. He has also appeared in The Real Deal.
His speaking engagaments include the following:
- Anatomy of a Deal: The Evolving Capital Stack - 2018 Real Estate Finance Summit
- Cash Flow Vs. Appreciation-What Is The Best Approach? - 2nd Annual Middle-Market Multifamily Forum (Northeast)
- Commercial Real Estate: State of Play - 6th Annual Real Estate CFO & COO Forum (East)
- State of the Market with an Eye to the Future - 8th Annual New York Multifamily Summit
- State of the Real Estate Industry - Fireside Chat with Depity County Executive & Commissioner for Suffolk County Joanne Minieri