Melissa Abbott, a Berdon LLP tax principal, has more than 15 years of professional experience advising on tax compliance and planning for trusts and estates, private foundations, and high net worth individuals and families. She performs detailed research and analysis of complex tax issues relating to fiduciary income and estate tax.
Melissa’s areas of expertise include:
- Providing state residency and IRS audit defense
- Responding to government inquiries regarding trust, estate, and gift tax issues
- Advising on the use of IDGTs, GRATs, CRTs, and FLLCs in estate planning
- Developing postmortem tax planning for estates
- Advising on the impact of pending tax law changes
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Estate Planning Council of New York City
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Estate Planning Committee
- Trust and Estate Administration Committee
She has written articles on issues in estate planning for The Tax Advisor.
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Melissa earned her Juris Doctor degree from the University of Wisconsin Law School and her Bachelor of Business Administration degree from the University of Wisconsin at Whitewater. She is licensed as a CPA in New York and Wisconsin and has been admitted to the State Bar of Wisconsin.