Tax partner Hal Zemel, with nearly 25 years in public accounting, advises businesses in the manufacturing, distribution, retail, advertising and real estate business sectors. He guides clients on the tax ramifications of various entities - Partnerships, LLCs, S corporations, C corporations - offering insights on choices tailored to their particular circumstances. Prior to joining Berdon, he operated his own tax consulting practice.
His expertise extends to:
- Taxation of multistate corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies
- Planning and structuring dispositions, mergers, reorganizations, joint ventures, and other transactions
- Identifying and pursuing tax planning opportunities to preserve and grow business and personal wealth
- Assisting counsel in preparing and negotiating tax-related documents including acquisition, disposition, merger and other transactions
- Representing clients in tax controversies before federal and state taxing authorities
- Determining the tax treatment of internally developed software
- Consulting on the tax implications of 1031 exchanges
Mr. Zemel also provides litigation support services - interpreting the proper treatment of partnership agreements for income tax purposes. He contributes to Berdon tax blogs.
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Hal Zemel holds a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from Lehigh University. He received a Juris Doctor degree from Boston University School of Law and a Master of Laws degree in taxation from New York University School of Law. Mr. Zemel was admitted to practice law before the Courts of New York and New Jersey in 1993 and obtained his license as a Certified Public Accountant in New York in 2011.