Fred E. Chilkowitz is a partner in Berdon LLP's Litigation, Valuation and Dispute Resolution Group and Chair of Valuation Services. Over a 20-year career, Mr. Chilkowitz has developed broad-based experience in valuation, damages, financial consulting, and auditing. He has particular experience in valuing closely held companies for estate and gift tax reporting, litigation matters, and transactions, and calculating damages for complex litigation matters. Mr. Chilkowitz has supported his opinions in front of the Internal Revenue Service and has testified as an expert witness in both federal and state litigation matters and an American Arbitration Association proceeding.
His extensive valuation, damages, and audit expertise includes:
- Valuations of closely held companies and private equity and hedge fund carried interests/promotes
- Computations of damages in matters involving breach of contract, tortious interference, shareholder disputes, professional malpractice, negligent and fraudulent misrepresentation and nondisclosure, breach of fiduciary duty, and wrongful asset liquidation
- Valuations performed in statutory fair value cases
- Transfer pricing analyses in connection with loans from affiliated foreign companies
- Valuations of assets, including promissory notes, fractional interests in real estate, and structured settlements
- Providing estimates of the rate of return to be assigned to preferred membership interests in entities
- Analyzing "waterfall" distribution provisions in connection with transactions and litigation matters
- Providing estimates of a reasonable guaranty fee in connection with a promissory note
- Forensic accounting analysis and valuations relating to divorce
Mr. Chilkowitz has worked with clients to value companies and calculate damages across a diverse spectrum of industries and professions, including commercial banking, distribution, entertainment, financial services, leasing, manufacturing, professional service, real estate, restaurants, retail, and transportation. He has also developed and conducted valuation and auditing training sessions to present to in-house staff, as well as law firm and government employees.
Prior to joining Berdon LLP, Mr. Chilkowitz was an Associate Director at National Futures Association, overseeing regulatory compliance of member futures brokers, commodity trading advisors, and commodity funds, which included broker dealers and hedge funds. He was also a consultant with an international management consulting firm specializing in compensation analysis and stock option valuation.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Business Valuation Committee Member
American Society of Appraisers
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mr. Chilkowitz graduated from Rutgers University with a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting. He earned a Master of Business Administration degree in finance from New York University's Stern School of Business. He is licensed as a Certified Public Accountant in New York and has been awarded the Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV) and Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) credentials by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and has earned the Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) designation from the American Society of Appraisers.