Tom Policano, a retired senior audit partner, served on the executive committee at Berdon LLP. An expert in the professional services area, he led Berdon’s Law Firm Management Group and worked closely with the design community.
Mr. Policano advised professional services firms on ways to become more profitable by evaluating operational, financial, and structural issues from a management and accounting perspective.
In addition to traditional accounting and auditing services, his expertise included:
- Analyzing the tax and financial impact of partnership agreements including capital requirements, capital payouts, profit and loss allocations, and retirement plans
- Developing merger plans and performing due diligence reviews for potential merger or lateral partner additions
- Evaluating and implementing internal controls as a means of increasing profitability
- Assessing escrow accounts and the related financial and internal control issues and standards
- Reviewing landlord rent escalation charges
Mr. Policano also advised a variety of other industries, most notably real estate-related businesses such as parking garages and maintenance companies. He was involved in all aspects of financial reporting, auditing, and accounting for clients and is experienced with SEC filings.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS, ACTIVITIES AND AWARDS
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
American Bar Association — Practice Section
Real Estate Board of New York
Board Member, Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS (DIFFA)
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mr. Policano graduated from the City College of New York with a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting. He obtained his license as a certified public accountant in New York in 1973.