Melvyn Ockner, an audit partner at Berdon LLP, has 40 years of experience in public accounting. An expert on accounting, audit, and SEC matters, he serves on the firm’s Quality Review Committee, which reviews every report before it is issued.
Mr. Ockner has been involved in all aspects of auditing and accounting, specializing in retail, hospitality, and manufacturing. He has worked with some of the nation’s most prominent retail chains and nonprofits as well as a wide variety of real estate organizations — among them the owners, developers, and operators of commercial, residential, hotel, and mixed-use properties.
He has extensive experience with SEC filings and corporate acquisitions, as well as financial reporting, auditing, and accounting requirements. His expertise includes:
- Projections and financial forecasts, including evaluation of underlying assumptions
- Due diligence with regard to acquisitions of businesses, including retail chains
- Consulting on potential sale of businesses
- Analysis of the operations of projects being considered for acquisition
- Cash flow projections and analyses
- Studies of internal controls
- Advising clients on negotiating various types of financing arrangements
- Assisting start-up and growing businesses with various accounting and tax issues
- Analysis and organization of financial documents and related evidential material
- Working closely with clients on estate planning strategies to maximize wealth
His article “Record Retention: What to Keep, What to Throw Out” was published in the Journal of Medical Practice Management.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Past Member, Accounting and Review Services Committee
- Past Member, Retail Committee
- Past Member, SEC Practice Committee
EDUCATION AND LICENSES
Mr. Ockner graduated from Brooklyn College and received a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting. In 1973, he was licensed as a certified public accountant in New York.