Senior AdviserEXPERIENCE HIGHLIGHTS
Lester Rosenbaum is a senior advisor for Berdon LLP's State and Local Tax Group with more than 35 years of experience. As a specialist in sales and use tax, he has advised many real estate organizations and professional service firms, including advertising agencies, law firms, and architecture and engineering firms. Mr. Rosenbaum monitors and analyzes developments in all state and local jurisdictions. Prior to joining Berdon LLP in 1980, he served at a Big Four firm and in the private sector.
Mr. Rosenbaum applies his extensive knowledge and technical expertise to:
- Determine proper jurisdiction to file returns
- Perform multistate tax reviews
- Devise plans to minimize effective tax rates
- Review tax return positions
- Perform due diligence reviews for acquisitions
- Coordinate voluntary disclosure with taxing authorities
- Analyze compliance systems to maximize efficiency and prevent noncompliance
- Evaluate transactions to minimize taxes
- Identify refund opportunities and coordinate the filing of claims
- Resolve disputes and handle audits with regard to sales and use taxes, corporation taxes, transfer taxes, gains taxes, payroll and employment taxes, and local business taxes
- Develop and supervise audits and resolve audit controversies, including meeting tax auditors, researching issues, preparing protests, and representing clients at hearings with state and local taxing authorities
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
Mr. Rosenbaum has written on state and local tax issues and contributed to The CPA Journal, Real Estate Weekly, and Long Island Business News as well as many Berdon publications. He has shared his expertise at various conference and events, among them New York State Society of CPA’s technical sessions on sales tax issues in real estate and conferences on New York State Tax Updates, a Building Owners’ and Managers’ Association seminar, a week-long tax seminar sponsored by Hofstra University, and a sales tax presentation for the American Association of Advertising Agencies. Mr. Rosenbaum has also chaired sessions on various state and local tax issues sponsored by the Foundation for Accounting Education.
Mr. Rosenbaum graduated from Pace University in 1971 with a Bachelor of Business Administration Degree in accounting.