Lester Rosenbaum is a principal in Berdon LLP's State and Local Tax Group with more than 35 years of experience. As the firm’s specialist in sales and use tax, he works closely with many real estate organizations and professional service firms, including advertising agencies, law firms, and architecture and engineering firms. Mr. Rosenbaum continuously monitors and analyzes developments in all state and local jurisdictions for dissemination to Berdon professionals throughout the firm to advise clients on the implications of pending laws. Prior to joining Berdon LLP in 1980, he served at a Big Four firm and in the private sector.
Mr. Rosenbaum applies his extensive knowledge and technical expertise to:
- Determine proper jurisdiction to file returns
- Perform multistate tax reviews
- Devise plans to minimize effective tax rates
- Review tax return positions
- Perform due diligence reviews for acquisitions
- Coordinate voluntary disclosure with taxing authorities
- Analyze compliance systems to maximize efficiency and prevent noncompliance
- Evaluate transactions to minimize taxes
- Identify refund opportunities and coordinate the filing of claims
- Resolve disputes and handle audits with regard to sales and use taxes, corporation taxes, transfer taxes, gains taxes, payroll and employment taxes, and local business taxes
- Develop and supervise audits and resolve audit controversies, including meeting tax auditors, researching issues, preparing protests, and representing clients at hearings with state and local taxing authorities
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ACTIVITIES
Mr. Rosenbaum regularly writes on state and local tax issues and has contributed to The CPA Journal, Real Estate Weekly, and Long Island Business News as well as many Berdon publications. In addition to speaking at annual tax updates and other Berdon seminars, he has shared his expertise at various conference and events, among them New York State Society of CPA’s technical sessions on sales tax issues in real estate and conferences on New York State Tax Updates, a Building Owners’ and Managers’ Association seminar, a week-long tax seminar sponsored by Hofstra University, and a sales tax presentation for the American Association of Advertising Agencies. Mr. Rosenbaum has also chaired sessions on various state and local tax issues sponsored by the Foundation for Accounting Education.
Mr. Rosenbaum graduated from Pace University in 1971 with a Bachelor of Business Administration Degree in accounting.